So the damn bookshop did not have Wasted, and then I saw The Best Little Girl in the World. I very nearly read the entire book in one sitting then was so VERY annoyed, I nearly threw the entire book out of the window.
I can assume to those who've never experienced anything close to an eating disorder this book would be so enlightening! So this is what eating disorders are about!
This book is bullshit. First, it TOTALLY ADHERES to the absolute stereotype of an eating disorder, white, middle-upper class, female, white, emotionally inaccessible father, a mom who's really concerned but clueless and uselessly angry, self-absorbed kid who just wants attention cuz her older siblings steal all the limelight. (And bonus! She does ballet, and someone told her she was too plump. Surprise surprise!!!!)
Not only that, it's super racist, like I know the book was written in 1978, but there's an extremely distinct divide between black and white in the book. Like, even anorexia was supposed (according to the "black" girl) a "white disease". What the shit. I hate racism and like everyfriggintime there was a "black" it HAD to be pointed out. SOOOOO annoying, and not only that the damn author made the "blacks" speak in that stereotype "black" slang -.-
That's another reason I wanted to throw the book outta the window. Shit. And all the "anorexia" habits and sit are so superficially described. Thank God Wasted came out.
I wanna go swimming so bad, but too many scars on my thighs, I suppose i'll have to go by myself at night, wearing shorts over the bottoms...
I miss my old school, my friends, my teachers so unbearably. I met a few girls wearing my school uniform selling stuff near H&M yesterday and damn that triggered this.
That book pissed me off as well. Second Star to the Right was just as bad. :/
ReplyDeleteHope you can get some swimming in. Shorts are always good. And Sally Hansen makes this spray on stockings stuff that's pretty good, and it's waterproof. I use it all summer; it covers the scars really well.
<3